Monday, October 5, 2009

Day 66: Each Day I'm Swimming Through Molasses

If energy were molasses, then today I was swimming in an Olympic-sized pool of it. Everything I did required lots of willpower and double the effort.

I do my jumps first thing in the morning, usually after I get up and do a whole stretch routine to wake up my muscles. Unfortunately everything was very off. I could barely do ten jumps without tangling. It was very frustrating but I persevered and did the entire three sets of five minutes.

At work it didn't get much better. The room would get real warm to the point where I started feeling like I was coming down with something and start feeling sleepy and sluggish, so I'd turn on my little desk fan to cool down. Then I'd get really cold and have to turn it off. Then I'd get really warm and have to turn it on. Lather, rinse, and repeat. The whole freakin' day I just could not get to the right temperature.

Add to that the fact that one of my co-workers is on vacation and I'm having to take over those duties on top of my own. I needed to spent the whole day on that job and pretty much ignore anything that I was suppose to do (because my stuff isn't as time sensitive). The day just dragged and by quitting time I was thoroughly weary and exhausted.

Got home and had to assemble things to donate to a local church for their rummage sale (like nice clothes that are too big for me). This included packing the stuff in the car and persuading my partner to take it to the church.

It was pushing 7pm and I was really beat. Then the little voice in the back of my mind starting in with it's mantra: "You look and feel tired. You should skip today's workout. Just make dinner and relax." Of course, you know when the little voice starts talking you gotta do exactly the opposite.

I changed into my workout clothes and began the strength exercises. It was a total load of FAIL. The muscles so did not want to cooperate what-so-ever. I could barely hit the target number of reps during the first set, and every set after that just got worse. I was struggling like anything to get the muscles to do any sort of respectable showing. By the end, I was this weird mix of totally wiped and totally energized. At least I had the satisfaction of knowing that I didn't succumb to the little voice.

The final bits of the evening were having dinner and evening snack, packing my lunch and two snacks for the next day, putting away the dishes in the dish drainer, doing a load of laundry, and running the dishwasher.

By 10pm, I was done for the day. Although I had intentions of updating the blog, I no longer had the energy or the clarity of mind. Instead, I climbed into bed and called it a day, muttering to myself that I really hate molasses.

3 comments:

  1. E, I just checked the lunar calendar. Maybe these are latent effects of Sunday's full moon. I had a difficult time of it this morning myself.

    But good for you for still going into workout mode even though you head was saying, no no no! That little victory makes it worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, that workout probably earned you more muscle than a "feeling strong" workout. You'll see big gains this week. Nice.

    -Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big points for plowing ahead, despite that little voice. No matter how tired or frustrated, it's always rewarding to know that you followed through on the workout.

    I'm at the point where I'm getting sore and pretty tired in the evenings -- don't know that I would have had the same willpower. Respect, E!

    ReplyDelete