Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Day 81: Isn't It Strange How We All Get A Little Bit Weird Sometimes [T-minus 9]

This is the day where I finally lost it.

I started out the day doing great. I was so in the groove during the j-ropes and had an amazing finish with the "8 Minute Abs". I didn't need to rush for breakfast, could do everything at a leisurely pace, and even got to work with plenty of time to spare.

The day went pretty smoothly too. No major hiccups that I couldn't handle, got a couple of projects done, and even had time to surf the net a bit.

I was looking forward to the evening. I had no pressing duties for the night. If I got home relatively early I could do my strength exercises, have supper, pack my lunch for the next day, update my blog, read a book for a while and go to bed at a decent hour.

That didn't happen.

I picked up my partner at work, then there was some funky traffic issues going on which forced us to take a number of detours and added time to get home. Despite that, we arrived at an early enough hour that still allowed me to recover some of the down-time I was looking forward to.

My partner made his own meal—reheated leftovers. I pity the poor guy. There's only one real cook in the house and I'm busy doing PCP. That means my partner has to make his own meals. He's not a bad cook, he just doesn't like to do it.

By the time I was finished with the strength exercises, it was still before 7pm (which is the time my dinner tends to be). I think to myself, Pop in the "8 Minute Abs". You've got time and the energy level is still there. Eight minutes later it's pretty close to 7pm and dinner.

Except dinner wasn't there.

Pre-made veggies were low. Carbs were non-existant. Eggs were enough for this dinner only. There wouldn't be enough for lunch tomorrow. I suddenly had to create meals for both myself and my partner.

That took two friggin' hours. With my relaxing evening a total bust, I started to lose it. So there I am, cursing under my breath as I'm chopping vegetables, slamming doors and drawers, and stomping around like a two-year old.

The timing shouldn't have surprised me. Through-out this entire journey through PCP, it has always taken up most of my day. That's the way my schedule runs. It just seemed as though I was going to have some non-PCP free time tonight.

Then, at the wrong moment, my partner steps foot into the kitchen. That wasn't his most brilliant of moves. Typically I'm a pretty easy going and chill kind of person. I don't get upset, but for some reason I had somehow stepped into The Twilight Zone and became some sort of raving lunatic.

It was at this point I started babbling about how it would be nice if once in a while he could do the cooking instead of me trying to make my meals and food for him to always reheat. I go on about how it isn't difficult for him to make a pot of pasta or chop up some vegetables or something that would really help make my life a little easier since it seems all my hours are booked. I finished off with how he always seems to come home from work and play on his computer while all I'm always slaving away in the kitchen. He quickly backed out of the kitchen and disappeared to his office on the second floor.

Yeah, I had a breakdown. But lunch is all packed for tomorrow, he has food he can reheat, I've had my dinner and my snack, and I'm making my blog post. (It's not exactly the one I had planned. That will have to wait until some other time.) Soon I'll be logging off and taking a few minutes to meditate before apologizing to him and going to bed.

That was just weird.

5 comments:

  1. No worries, E ;) we've all had meltdowns, whether or not we were on the PCP at the time (though it is a nice scapegoat or probably cause).

    My friends used to say I had PCP-induced rage. I like to think of it mroe like all my emotions were more absolute: my joy was more joyful, my sadness more despairing, my anger more hot and feisty.

    I also feel like the PCP runs us like any fine-tuned machine, and once in awhile when something kinks us or interrupts the system, shit breaks down. take a breather, smooch your man and then on to a new day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha! Yeah, I totally had a moment like that last week.

    With less time to simply do what I do during the workday and in the kitchen, with dogs to walk and feed, and with a sink full of dishes (PCP makes lots more dishes!), I had a full-out hissy (I think I even hopped up and down!). My man D pointed out that it's healthy to expel the emotion, but it's also healthy to ask for help.

    Hope you're having a better Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, E! Sounds like the scene at my house on occasion too. In fact, the last time involved screaming (me) and crying (also me). Don't be hard on yourself. PCP is like a pressure cooker at times, and we all have to let the steam out periodically. We can just be thankful (as Shelly pointed out in her recent blog post) that the people who love us still love us (and even they have their moments sometimes too.)

    You're in the home stretch!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teehee, Shelly: "(I think I even hopped up and down!)." You're doing great, E! I'm proud of you and I'm sure your partner is too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes the smackdown is called for.

    ReplyDelete