Monday, September 7, 2009

Day 38: Take Me Through The Gates Of Hell And You Can See I Will Survive

Today we went to the State Fair on it's closing day. This is an annual ritual for us. If you've never been to one, here are some photos so you can see what a gastronomic nightmare a place like this can be!



This is one of the first sights you see upon arrival. I thought it was just fitting that the demonic clown face sat between the ice cream cone and the fried dough stand.



Practically every row at the State Fair looks just like this one. It's just rows and rows of places serving every bit of unhealthy food imaginable. And don't think people haven't imagined it!



If it can be deep fried, they'll do it! Oreos, Snicker's bars, apple pie, pizza, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches...



...even cheesecake. (I was thinking of you, Jess, when I saw this one. Imagine the reaction if your indulgence had been this!)



And if you run out of cash—no worry! Our friendly fast food vendors even offer ATM service right at their stands!

There are so many tempting choices, and they'll sell it to you real cheap! Heck, they'll even throw in a free sample to get you hooked! Is it any wonder that people in this country are getting overweight?

I was one of those people who would enter the fair grounds with cash in my pockets and I'd eat my way through it, literally. By the end of the day when it was time to go home I didn't even need to bother with eating dinner, let alone lunch. I was usually pretty stuffed when I left.

Not this year. I packed my PCP meal (two snacks and lunch) and carried it with me throughout the fair. Did the food look tempting? Sometimes, until I thought about all that greasiness running rampant through my body. Besides, I like having my yogurt and grapes or blueberries. Much better than any deep fried crap any day!

Now some may be asking, "Why did you go to the fair? Was it only to torture yourself with the things you can't have?" Why no. If you make it outside the realm of the food vendors (and they do take up a good portion of the fair) there are other attractions there! Games, rides, shows, exhibits, animals, and so on. A person can have an absolutely wonderful time without increasing the size of their gut!

I have walked through the gates of hell and I'm better person for it.

2 comments:

  1. Lol Deep fried cheesecake...god almighty save us from that temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theme-parks and fairs are a nightmare... somehow people feel like eating out in the open air surrounded by amusements means the most nasty food becomes a "fun snack". The same stuff happens at Japanese matsuri too.

    ReplyDelete