Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Day 40: The Coincidence Of Chance

This is the day that I mix everything around!

For the past few weeks I had been breaking my exercises into two groups. The strength exercises I did first thing in the morning when I got up and the jump rope after I got home from work. I was doing it this way for two reasons: (1) because I'm just use to doing exercises in the morning when I get up and (2) because the jump rope always killed my knees and each session was usually followed by an hour or so of elevating and putting ice on them. (Not a very practical practice when trying to get to work in the morning.)

It seems I had the right idea, just the wrong direction. To lose the fat, the jump rope should be in the morning and to gain muscle the strength exercises should be in the evening. Who knew?

Today I switched the exercises around. It is a little difficult jumping rope shortly after getting up, so the first couple hundred weren't the smoothest. Well, none of my jumps are really all that smooth, but this was rougher than normal. Once I got into the groove of it, it wasn't all too bad. (Oh, and for those of you who have been keeping track, I did it all without any knee braces and there was no pain! What joy!)

The strength exercises were done in the evening, and I don't know why but they seemed to move faster than usual. When I looked at the clock after I finished, it still took me the same amount of time—it just seemed quicker.

So I had the right track, just the wrong train!

Another seeming bizarre coincidence came about after our email. On Sunday I went out grocery shopping for more food, 'cause I seem to be doing that a lot lately. (I'm almost up to a carton of eggs a day!) Well, I wanted to find a new grain to try out, beyond the typical pasta and rice, and I came across this beauty:



Multi-colored couscous! (Tomato & Spinach provide the extra colors.) It cooks up quite beautifully:



And it just seems funny that our email just happens to mention how wonderful couscous is. That was just too bizarre.

2 comments:

  1. Couscous! Couscous! I told myself that I would quit the PCP if Patrick ever mentioned couscous. Lucky for me I don't follow through. I shudder...

    How do you keep the momentum up splitting the exercises in two? I found that my workout felt weak when I didn't have the jumpropes as warmup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually encountered the reverse. After jumping rope my legs were hurting so badly and I was so exhausted that my strength exercises felt weak. Breaking them up meant I could concentrate either on the cardio with the ropes or the muscles with the strength. Yeah, it meant that I had to do warm-ups and cool-downs twice, but I had no problem with that.

    ReplyDelete