Monday, September 14, 2009

Day 45: Intermission

I can't believe we're at the halfway point. It seemed so far away when Day 1 began, almost like a dream—and yet here we are!

It seems to be a good point to look back and reflect upon what I've learned so far. Yes, there are still many days to go until that Day 90 goal, but it's always good to stop once in a while and take stock of everything that's occurred up to that point.

I will have to say that the meal plan was probably the easiest part so far. Simple foods and simple ways to measure the amounts. I like simple things! It has also been a huge eye-opener to the world around me. The things that people eat. The amounts that people eat! Sometimes it feels like a decade ago that I was once like them. Then there are those moments when my body just can't wait for Day 90 so it can gorge itself on all the foods that it has been force to look at and not taste. The urges aren't bad, but they are still there. I am hoping they totally go away by the end of the program.

The strength exercises aren't that bad, for the most part. There are some that I really would love to see disappear, but I don't think that will be happening anytime soon. Almost every diet I have ever been on always included the strength exercises, so I'm pretty use to them.


Now the jump rope is a whole different story! I've had this whole love/hate relationship going on with them. I absolutely hated the first Implement of Torture jump rope I had and I'm pretty sure it had its own designs to do me in. The second and third jump ropes were far better. My knees also didn't like jumping the rope for the longest time. It's taken me this long to actually be able to jump without pain. For a while there, I didn't think I was going to make it. I am getting to the point where I don't mind jumping rope so much, although I can't wait for Friday! I'm getting a little tired of the "see how many jumps you can do" bit and in just a few days it's going to be something different—timed jumps!

There is a pretty good sized time commitment required. Sometimes there just isn't time to see friends or do something other than cook, exercise, and blog. It hasn't been too horrible because it also means that you need step away from the hustle and bustle of the world to take moments and concentrate on life. Many times there are points during the exercises that I feel like I'm doing a form of meditation, especially during the sit-ups. It's kind of refreshing.

Rest is a huge part of the program. If I don't get enough sleep from the night before, it makes the whole day drag. And when the day drags, I really don't want to exercise. Sometimes I'm able to get lots of rest, and other days no so much. This is one area that I'll definitely need to work on.

PCP is not always the most thrilling thing in my life. There are some days that I really want to work out and I'll get miserable if anything dares interrupt my plan! Then there are the other days where I just want to just trash the whole thing and do something fun. Those days are the hardest because you just have to put your head down, shoulder to the grindstone, and just exercise. Nobody promised it was going to be fun. I had all the fun before which got me to the point where I was at when the program began. Now comes the hard work to undo all the damage that was done.

So yeah, it's not fun, but it is totally worth it. I know where I want to be at the end of the ninety days, and I can see and feel the little changes that are happening every week. I am amazed at what I've been able to do so far. Can't wait to see what happens next!

3 comments: