Saturday, August 1, 2009

Day 1: Might As Well Jump. Jump!

When I read the "Day One" email from Patrick, I thought to myself, "This will be a piece of cake. I can jump rope. I use to do it all the time as a kid. Then I attempted to jump rope. I barely could make it to 25 without tripping or having to stop to catch my breath. Yeah, I had no problems jumping rope as a kid -- but there's a lot more of me now than there was then. But somehow I managed to accomplish the full number of jumps. The other exercises were easy, as I have been doing them on and off for the past year.

The part that I'm going to find hard right now will be trying to eat only half of what I normally eat. The reason this is going to be tricky is that I am currently on vacation and I'm camping. When I'm in the outdoors, I don't eat as much as I usually do. Everything is rationed out and when it's gone, it's gone. There's no cupboard or refrigerator to run to whenever the munchies attack.

So, I'm having to resort to thinking about how much I would usually eat if I were home and then trying to half that. I know there are times when I'll just chow down two veggie burgers, just because I don't want to waste the food since it's cooked -- so for this week, I need to only eat one. Along with that, I'm going to restrain myself to only one helping of side dishes and not go for seconds, as well as eyeballing my portion sizes. (I've done many diets and such over the years, so I remember things like: 4 oz of meat is the size of your palm, butter is the size of a die, and so forth.)

The easy thing for me to get rid of will be the salt. I have an adverse reaction to it, so I tend to not add it to my food. The hardest thing will be sugar. Yes, I have a pretty big sweet tooth. But the time has come for me to start thinking about my health and let go of some of those things that do not enhance my health. That is the journey worth traveling.

6 comments:

  1. Great job getting through the whole 250, E! Don't sweat that extra veggie burger, as my wife says: "all food goes to waste, it just doesn't have to go to waste through you."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The jumping rope was pretty funny as well..good thing we have to post photos and not videos :) mine would post in the comedy portion.

    Congrats that you did them all...sounds like you are off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eh, do your best while camping man, don't kill yourself trying to figure out what half of 3/4 of your usual diet is. Just don't get too stuffed at any point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome, E! Dude, I have/had? such a sweet tooth pre-PCP, and now it's really startling how sweet things taste now, even like a bowl of plain Cheerios. You'll do fine if you surrended to the PCP and trust Patrick. he knows his stuff. Good luck, newbies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good work with the ropes, E!!. Last tuesday i tried jumping ropes, wanted to make sure i don't make a fool of myself. Good thing only my wife is watching :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I jump rope on my deck so my cat watched me as I said, "one two three SON OF A four five six..." Good job on finishing them, it's hard!

    ReplyDelete