Sunday, August 30, 2009

Day 30: Don't Leave Everything To Be Crowded Into The Very Last Minute

Sunday was a slower day. Although people got up at about the same time as the day prior, the pace was pretty relaxed. Breakfast was going to be a light affair before heading off to a restaurant late-morning for a more filling Sunday brunch, followed by the family's departure for home. (I live closer to the cabin than they do, so I could spend a bit more time there.) Light breakfast for them was coffee, danishes, doughnuts, and sugared cereal.

I found out that after I went to bed last night, my nieces wanted dessert. They had pretty healthy appetites at the restaurant last night, but it didn't surprise me that they were suffering a case of the munchies. That was pretty much what I was seeing all weekend.

The next morning they gave me my indulgence—a slice of banana cream pie they saved from last night's snack attack. I managed to take only a sliver of the piece and let one of my nieces finish it off.

Although I never minded banana cream pie before, I just found it to be not thrilling. I think part of my reaction was because I was hoping for something else. Another part was a bit disappointed that I wasn't able to partake in the experience with the rest of the family. A third reason I was bothered because it didn't taste as fabulous as I thought it should have after not having sweets for a whole month. It wasn't rich. It wasn't flavorful. It was blah.

Around 11am we headed off to a restaurant that I knew my family would like. It was a place where you can enjoy an "All You Can Eat Breakfast" for a relatively low price. And they took full advantage of it.

I looked at my plate compared to theirs. Before PCP, I probably would have eaten as much as them. During PCP, I sat there with small portion of scrambled eggs, a bowl of fruit, a triangle of cinnamon raisin french toast (no syrup), a triangle of apple french toast (no syrup), a glass of milk, and a few home-fry potatoes. Granted, it wasn't the best PCP meal, but I didn't think it was too bad. Boy was I wrong! The food sat like a lump in my stomach.

After they were sated, we left the restaurant and said our good-byes. My family headed for their respective homes and my partner and I went back to the camp. When we got there I had to immediately head for the bathroom. The "food" didn't not agree with me at all. It went through my system faster than a bullet train!

It was just starting afternoon and I was tired, so I laid down for a quick nap. When I got up about an hour later, my partner and I went to visit one of his relatives who had a cabin just down the road from ours.

While we were there, they offered us some ice cream. Now this is the indulgence I had been waiting for! I asked that they just give a tiny bit, about half a scoop (since I had already had a sliver of banana cream pie earlier). The flavor was called "Birthday Bash."

This was sweetness overload! I am so glad that I only asked for a little. Any more would have been far too much!

It was a very enlightening weekend. Between watching my family, recognizing the patterns of behavior I use to exhibit, and eating foods which would probably amount to a number of indulgences, I have to admit that I was glad to be home with my simple PCP menu. Yeah, it may be simple but it has a heck of a lot more flavor than some of the non-PCP stuff I sampled.

And I like it that way.

1 comment:

  1. These eye opening experiences are what the PCP is all about. Keep having them and you'll be laying an unshakable foundation of health. It's one thing to really want a big all you can eat breakfast and having the willpower to say no, and another to not even have the slightest desire for that kind of food. The latter will pay off for years and years, while the former will crack under the weight of cravings in just a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete