Saturday, August 29, 2009

Day 29: Plan Ahead! In Advance. Don't Leave A Thing To Chance

The cabin started bustling with noise very early in the morning. Luckily, I normally get up every day at 6am so it didn't disturb me too much.

As I assembled my PCP friendly meal I watched the rest of my family gobble down coffee, doughnuts, and sugared cereal. I looked over at the doughnut box and there was one left—a glazed doughnut topped with pink frosting and sprinkles. I still hadn't used my indulgence, so it would have been perfectly acceptable to eat it. I just wasn't sure if I wanted too. What if we went out for ice cream? I'd much rather have ice cream than the doughnut! Heck, there are a number of things that I'd prefer over the doughnut. In the end it stayed in it's box and I ate my breakfast.

Shortly afterwards we all piled into two cars and drove to the nearby town of Ogdensburg for some sight-seeing and shopping. Everyone's spirits were running high even though it was sprinkling on and off. During the trip we found this amazing children's playground which was designed to resemble a medieval castle. The weather let up just enough for us to play in this amazing structure.


It was a quick stop back at the cabin for lunch, which was good for me because I had forgotten to bring along my mid-morning snack. I also discovered that while we were in town my iPhone had located a signal and downloaded my email. I now had my meal plan for the current week. Unfortunately, it didn't download the exercise sheets.

Then we were off again, heading in the opposite direction toward the touristy town of Alexandria Bay. We were going to take a boat tour of the 1000 Island region. It was going to be a two and a half hour trip.

Thankfully I was prepared. I am very susceptible to motion sickness so most moving things are not my friends. Boats and planes are especially bad. But I had put on the patch my doctor had prescribed to me and was ready to test the boat. (I knew it worked when I flew. This was my first time on a boat in a looooong time.)

The upside of the patch: I was able to enjoy the trip and took lots of pictures. The downside of the patch: It makes me extremely sleepy.

By the time we returned to shore it was way past suppertime. I had brought my afternoon snack, but not my dinner. Everyone opted to eat at a restaurant instead of cooking at the cabin. This was going to be my first time at a restaurant while on PCP.

It was about 9:30pm by the time we got to the restaurant. I looked over the menu and decided on some bruschetta and a baby greens salad with fruit, oil and vinegar dressing on the side. I ate only two of the four pieces of bruschetta and all of the salad.

When we arrived back to the cabin, I was exhausted. So I yawned my goodnights and stumbled off to bed while everyone else stayed up for a bit longer.

To Be Continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment