Friday, August 28, 2009

Day 28: Plan Ahead! Plan Ahead! That's What The Wise Man Said

I think I'm developing a reputation. I am a jump-rope killer.

I took Friday off from work. My parents were going to arrive late morning, about the same time my partner was going to come home from work, and we were going to travel north to spend the weekend at the cabin. That meant I had some time to do the 1300 jumps and recover afterwards before everyone got to the house.

Jump rope, music, thirteen stones, and I was all set to go. I tried some of Patrick's ideas of different jump rope tricks. The "Running Jump" wasn't too bad, though I kept tangling my left foot quite a bit. The "Double Dutch" was different too as it relies on a whole different rhythm because the rope has to swing a bit slower. The "Cross" was fun, but the most I could do would be one or two before getting tangled again.

Then came the "Snap". Over the past few weeks I had broke the rope, but it was usually at the handle. That was easy to fix—pop the end off, string the rope through, reattached. This time the rope broke right in the middle. There was no fixing that! Total number of jumps: 978.

So I limped inside and began resting, elevating, and icing my knees. At least it gave me a little more time to prepare my meals for the weekend. Eventually everything was packed, everyone arrived, and we headed to the cabin. Unfortunately, I didn't have any time to go out and buy a new jump rope. That's okay, I thought to myself, I'll just wing it.

Be careful of what you say or think. Sometimes the 'Verse is listening in and comes up with other plans!

We got to the cabin, unpacked, settled in—and I discovered that there was absolutely no coverage for my iPhone. None. Nada. Zip. I was not going to be able to check the web or receive any emails. That meant I had no idea what my meal plan was going to be nor what exercises we were going to do because I could not get Patrick's Saturday message. Friday night's meals were okay as I had already pre-packed them in their allotted amounts, but since I had not brought any of the paraphernalia from the weeks previous, I was going to be totally on my own and winging the PCP for the rest of the weekend.

Late in the evening, my brother and his family arrived. That was when the weekend at the cabin became very interesting.

To Be Continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment